Dal Kanda Recipe
Dal Kanda is a super simple authentic Maharashtrian dish made from chana dal and onions. It is majorly consumed by farmer families in various parts of Maharashtra as it’s high in protein and very economical.
I remember going to my village Pandharpur when i was a kid. The farmers on our farm used to get Dal Kanda and Bhakri as their lunch. They accompanied it with fresh green chillies and onions. The best part is all the ingredients of this recipe used to be produced in our farm in Pandharpur. Dal Kanda is a very special recipe to me as there are many childhood memories attached to it.
- 1 1/2 cup split Chana Dal
- 3 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 4 dried Red Chillies
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped Garlic
- pinch of hing
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Soak Chana Dal in water for an hour or so
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, garlic, pinch of hing, dried red chillies and cook till garlic gets nice golden color.
- Add chopped onion and cook till onion gets light golden color.
- Add Red chilli powder, garam masala, mix and cook till oil separates from the spices.
- Add washed dal, mix, add water, salt, mix, cover and cook till dal gets cooked.
- Garnsih with coriandar leaves.