Healthy and simple Bisibelabhat accompanied with Sweet Potato delight is made from the nutritious quinoa and sweet potato.
Cancer Institute Foundation (CIF) organized the Kitchen Khiladi Contest 2013 which was a huge success with participants from all over the bay area, esteemed judges, CIF volunteers and amazing audience.
You can read more about them on http://www.cifwia.org.This event was a fundraiser for a noble cause which was to raise money to treat 10 kids suffering from cancer.
For the entire coverage of the contest read the post CIF Kitchen Khiladi Contest 2013
This amazing dish was made by Bhavani Prembabu, Shanthi Kathiresan and Jaya Namasivayam . Below mentioned is the recipe for both the dishes.
For More Pics Anita Mokashi Photography
A traditional Indian dish, Bisibelabath with this healthy Mayan twist!
Quinoa – loaded with antioxidants, is a “complete” protein and contains Lysine which helps with tissue growth. This super Mayan grain also offers twice the fiber content than any other grain. It’s low glycemic index helps with weight loss and is recommended for prevention and treatment of breast cancer, diabetes, migraines. Greatly improves brain & muscle cell metabolism
Eat healthy in 2013, the international year of Quinoa! -as declared by United Nations
1 cup Cooked Quinoa
¼ cup Toor dhal
1 piece Winter melon
3 small Eggplants
½ a piece Carrot
10 -15 Beans
2 tbs Sambar powder
2 tbs Bisibelabath powder
½ cup Tamarind water
½ tsp Oil
½ tsp Mustard
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Salt
2 Red Chillies
5 – 10 Curry leaves
1. Cook Quinoa and Toor dhal
2. Sauté all vegetables with salt
3. Add Tamarind water & Sambar powder
4. Allow it boil well
5. Add cooked quinoa and dhal
6. Add the Bisibelabath masala & stir well
7. Simmer it until the desired consistency
8. Season with Mustard, Cumin, Red chilies
9. Serve it hot !
Sweet Potato Delight Recipe
A simple, quick dessert made out of sweet potatoes, a powerhouse of nutritional goodness.
Together with cinnamon that helps to control blood sugar spikes, walnuts, the only nuts that offer a significant amount of the omega-3 fat to help lower cholesterol and dates also known as natural candy, full of antioxidants, a good source of fiber and potassium and finally saffron, a blood purifier.
What better way to eat a dessert – prepare it quick – enjoy the taste and above all – get healthy!!
2 Sweet Potatoes
½ cup Brown sugar
½ cup Grated coconut
½ cup Chopped Walnuts
½ cup Chopped Dates
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 tbs Honey
1 tsp Ghee
1. Microwave sweet potatoes until soft (roughly 5 minutes)
2. Cool it in water, remove the skin and mash it until smooth
3. Add cinnamon, brown sugar, walnuts, dates and half of the saffron
4. Mix it well & make desired shape and broil it for 10 minutes
5. Once broiled, dress it with grated coconut, and drizzle it with honey
6. Mix ½ tsp each of cinnamon, honey and brown sugar
7. Apply a thin layer of this mixture on thin slices of apple
8. Place the dressed sweet delights on this thin mixture
9. Enjoy hot or cold!