Begun Bhaja Recipe, How to make Begun Bhaja | Baingan Bhaja
Begun Bhajas are shallow fried eggplant slices which are marinated with spices.This delicious dish is crispy from outside and soft from inside, brimming with the delicate flavour of eggplant or brinjal as called in India. It’s one of the famous dishes/appetizers from Bengali Cuisine.
Taking about Bengali cuisine, it is a culinary style originating in Bengal, a region in the eastern part of the Indian subcontinent, which is now divided between Bangladesh and West Bengal.
These fritters tastes best when accompanied with Khitchdi or Dal Rice.
There is a story behind this post. I went to buy groceries and saw varieties of brinjals/eggplants in there. I was confused which one to buy. I asked my CCC Group Members on facebook and they give me tons of info about different types of Eggplants and Brinjal 🙂 One of the member mentioned about Begun Bhaja and was super excited to try this and thus made this.
- 4-5 brinjals
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp aamchur powder/dry mango powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- Mustard Oil or Regular Oil
- Salt as per taste
- Wash and cut the brinjals into round slices
- Rub all the masalas and salt which are mentioned in the ingredients.
- Let it marinate for atleast an hour.
- Heat oil in wide pan
- Dust some rice flour on the marinated brinjal slices.
- Shallow fry until done
- Serve it hot with khichdi, dal rice or enjoy just like that.